Chickpea & Potato Curry
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 inch peeled ginger, grated
- 2 medium size tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 3 medium size potatoes, peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- two 15 ounces cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the cinnamon and bay leaf. After a few seconds, add the cumin seeds. Once they start to sizzle, add the onions and cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, until nice and golden.
- To this, add the grated garlic and ginger and cook for another minute. Now add the tomatoes, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, until soft and mushy. Time to add all the spices and cook another minute. Now add the water, followed by the potatoes and then the chickpeas. Bring everything to a boil, then cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and cooked through.
- The last thing to add is the cream and cilantro. You can remove the bay leaf and cinnamon stick before serving. Mix well and serve warm with bread, naan, or rice.