Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time27 mins
- 1 lb Sour Dough or French Bread ( 16 Oz) I used French bread
- 2 cups Vegan shredded cheese ( I used 1.5 cups of mozzarella and ½ cup of colby)
- 1 Vegan stick butter (½ cup) I used Vegan unsalted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp chili sauce (optional) I used Schezwan sauce
- 1 tsp dry Italian herbs
- 2 tbsps finely chopped fresh parsley
GARLIC BUTTER –
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add the grated garlic, finely chopped parsley, black pepper, Italian herbs, chili sauce and salt. Mix it well
- Shred the cheese, I used mostly mozzarella and a small amount of colby jack cheese.
CUTTING & FILLING THE BREAD WITH GARLIC BUTTER-
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- Cut the bread diagonally with a serrated knife about 1 inch wide, making sure you do not go all the way to the bottom of the bread.
- Turn the bread around and cut them again to form diamond pattern.
- Slightly open up the cuts and using a spoon fill the pockets with the garlic butter. Be patient and apply all over the bread. Its worth it. Reserve 1 – 2 teaspoons of the garlic butter to be applied on the top of the bread.
- Now add the grated the cheese making sure you stuff with cheese on all the cuts. Apply the reserved garlic butter on top of the bread.
- Cover it with a foil and bake in the preheated oven for 17 – 19 minutes. Remove the foil on the top and bake further for another 5 -7 minutes till lightly brown and crisp on the top.
- Remove the bread, garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
If using salted butter, you may want to skip or reduce the salt added to the garlic butter.
Tastes best when served hot and out of the oven.
Leave a Reply