Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
Keyword: chana saag recipe, saag chana recipe
- pressure cooker
- pan / pot for cooking curry
- 3 cups Boiled chickpeas or canned chickpeas (refer notes for dried chickpeas)
- 2 medium onions diced
- 1 cup pureed tomatoes / diced tomatoes
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tbsp garam masala or adjust as per taste
- 1/2 tbsp red chilly powder or paprika powder adjust as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut milk optional( it will help to balance spice)
- In a pan or a pot, heat oil. Add onion with ginger, garlic and some salt and saute on low/medium heat until dark brown. (If you prefer the dark gravy cook as brown as possible. Switch off just before they start to burn.)
- Add the crushed/pureed tomatoes with little salt.(I have just blended fresh tomatoes here.)
- Continue cooking with little salt, once tomatoes have soften.
- Add the spices(curry powder,garam masala and red chilli/paprika powder).
- Continue cooking until the masala has mixed well.
- Add chickpeas to curry mix and hot water, Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk to the chickpea curry. You can adjust it according to your taste.
- Add the chopped spinach leaves and turn off the heat.
Note: If you prefer the dark gravy cook as brown as possible. Switch off just before they start to burn. It is worth the wait trust me!
For boiling chickpeas :
Soak chickpeas overnight or at least for 4 hours in water for 2 hours in hot water. They swell and double in the size post soaking. If you want you can also use canned chickpeas for this curry.Pressure cook the chickpeas with 3-4 cups of water and bit of salt for 2-3 whistles or in a covered pot, until soft
For instant pot, I would recommend to cook on high of 15 minutes and release the steam after 15 minutes. This would change a bit based on the quality chickpeas you are using.