Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time12 mins
Total Time22 mins
ourse: Side Dish
Cuisine: American, Gluten Free, Healthy
Diet: Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce gluten-free tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme chopped
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 16 ounces Brussels sprouts ends trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons butter or additional oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- In a small bowl combine lemon juice, maple syrup, soy sauce, and thyme.
- Heat oil to medium high in a large skillet. Add Brussels sprouts and onion to the pan and cook until they begin to brown, about four minutes.
- Add butter or oil to the pan and cook for four more minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Add the lemon juice mixture and cook for 2 – 4 additional minutes.
Serving Suggestions for this Caramelized Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Serve as a side with a Tamari Aioli. Mix ½ cup plain yogurt or mayo with 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari, ½ tablespoon lemon juice, 2 teaspoons Swerve sweetener (or sweetener of choice), and a teaspoon of minced garlic. Add in in pinch of cayenne pepper if desired.
- Cook 8 ounces of gluten-free spaghetti. While the spaghetti and Brussels are cooking, add a tablespoon of oil to a skillet. Add ½ diced red onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and reduce the heat to low. Add ½ cup whole milk (or half-and-half) and ¼ cup vegetable broth. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 4 minutes. Stir in the pasta and top with the Brussels sprouts.
- Serve with a grilled steak.
- This one sounds a little crazy, but Brussels sprouts are great on white pizza. Brush a prepared gluten-free pizza crust with a tablespoon of garlic oil. Bake at 420 degrees for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with 2 ounces of Manchego cheese and chopped Brussels. Cook for 4 minutes. Sprinkle toasted walnuts over the pizza and serve.
Calories: 104kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 220mg | Potassium: 331mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 700IU | Vitamin C: 69.5mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1.2mg
Leave a Reply