This Butternut Squash Casserole with Quinoa will blow your mind away! Butternut squash and quinoa are a match made in heaven. Healthy and delicious, this is a dish that the whole family will love.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr 51 mins
Total Time2 hrs 11 mins
- 8 x 8 Baking Pan
- Garlic Mincer
- Baking Sheet
- 4 cups butternut squash peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 shallots minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup of quinoa rinsed
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth or chicken broth if you aren’t vegetarian
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs beaten (optional)
- ½ cup milk dairy, soy or almond
- 1 cup Gruyere or Vegan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with olive oil. Add squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sage and cook for 8 minutes or until shallots are tender.
- Add in garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add in quinoa and squash and stir for another minute.
- Add in broth, black pepper, sea salt and cayenne pepper. Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 25 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Move the quinoa mixture to an oven safe pan. In a small bowl, combine milk and eggs and pour over the quinoa mixture. Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. If desired, broil for two minutes to brown the top.
- Variations for Butternut Squash Quinoa Casserole
- For add a nutritional punch, add in 8 ounces of sautéed spinach or kale before baking.
- For a more traditional “holiday feel” Butternut Squash Casserole, omit the cheese. Instead mix ¼ cup melted butter, ¼ cup brown sugar, ½ cup toasted pecans, ½ cup oats and ¼ cup flour. Sprinkle on top of the casserole before baking.
- Saute 6 ounces chopped mushrooms and add to the mixture prior to baking.
- Tips for Making Butternut Squash Casserole Recipes
- This makes a great side dish or vegetarian main course. To make this vegan, omit the eggs and add in an additional ¼ cup of nut milk. If you would prefer to skip the vegan cheese, breadcrumbs work great here too.
- Calories: 292kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 692mg | Potassium: 606mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 10295IU | Vitamin C: 21.5mg | Calcium: 327mg | Iron: 2.5mg
Leave a Reply