- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- juice of 1 large orange, about ¼ cup
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 sweet potato diced small, about 3 cups
- ½ a bunch of broccoli florets, chopped, about 3 cups florets
- ½ bunch of kale, rinsed and chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled into ribbons
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the dressing by combining the first 8 ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Dice the sweet potatoes and toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Place on parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice the broccoli and toss with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. After sweet potatoes have cooked 15 minutes, add broccoli to the baking sheet and bake the sweet potatoes and broccoli for 10-15 additional minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked.
- While that’s cooking, place kale in a salad bowl, add 2 tablespoons of the dressing and massage with (clean!) hands for 1 minute. Set aside and let rest while you prep the remaining ingredients. (peel carrots, slice onions, chop cilantro and almonds)
- Once the sweet potatoes and broccoli are done, remove from oven, and immediately add to the kale, along with the carrot ribbons, green onion, cilantro, almonds, sesame seeds, and an additional 2 tablespoons of dressing.
- Toss everything together until evenly coated and kale has slightly wilted from the heat. Add more dressing if desired, there should be about ¼ cup extra.
- Serve right away, or at room temperature within the hour.
- Salad will keep well in the fridge, for up to 3 days and can be served cold, or heated in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.
Leave a Reply