For the Brioche Dough:
- 1/4 cup warm milk (110°F/43°C)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (optional)
1. Prepare the Brioche Dough:
- In a small bowl, combine warm milk, active dry yeast, and a pinch of sugar. Let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add the yeast mixture and beaten eggs to the flour mixture. Mix until combined.
- Gradually add the softened butter, mixing well after each addition.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10-15 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until it doubles in size.
2. Shape and Cut the Donuts:
- Punch down the risen dough and roll it out on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Use a donut cutter or two differently sized round cutters to cut out donut shapes.
- Place the cut donuts on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover, and let them rise for another 30-45 minutes.
3. Fry the Donuts:
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or large, deep pan to 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully add the donuts to the hot oil, frying for about 1-2 minutes per side or until they are golden brown.
- Remove the donuts from the oil using a slotted spoon and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
4. Coat the Donuts:
- In a shallow bowl, mix granulated sugar (and cinnamon if using).
- While the donuts are still warm, coat them in the sugar mixture, ensuring an even coating.
- Serve the brioche donuts warm and enjoy!