Black Eyed Peas Curry is a super delicious curry made in Instant Pot. It is a vegan and gluten-free stew. Warm Indian Spices make it perfect for any season.
CourseMain Course CuisineIndian, Indian American KeywordBlack Eyed Beans & Collard Greens, instant pot beans stew, Instant Pot Black Eyed Beans Curry, Instant Pot curry, instant pot vegna glutenfree recipes Prep Time10 minutes Cook Time30 minutes Total Time40 minutes Servings6
- 2 cups Black Eyed Peas/Beans (dry) washed and soaked for 3-4 hrs
- 1 small bunch or or 2 cups Collard Greens washed, Ribs removed and chopped fine
- 1 medium Red Onion finely chopped
- 1 cup or 2 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp or 1 small piece Ginger finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1-2 small Green chili or 1/2 jalepeno finely chopped
- 4 cups Water or more if desired. Added later.
Oil & Spices
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Red Chili powder or Cayenne powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1&1/2 tsp or to taste Salt
- 2 tbsp Cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
Watch the video to understand the steps better.
Preparing the Black Eyed Beans
- Wash the beans. Soak them in 4 cups water for 3-4 hours. When ready to cook, drain the water. Set aside to be used.
Cooking on SAUTE MODE
- Place the inner pot inside the Instant Pot. Plug it in. Press the SAUTE MODE and set at HIGH for 10 minutes. Once the screen displays HOT, add oil to it. After few seconds, add cumin seeds and stir for another few seconds.
- Now add ginger, garlic, and green chili to the pot. Saute for few seconds. Add finely chopped Onions to the IP. Give it a good stir. Cook until onion becomes soft. It will take about 3-4 minutes. If needed, cover and cook the onions. But stir in between to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Once the onions are soft, add tomatoes + all the spices to the IP. Give it a good stir. Cover with the IP lid. Cook for about 5 minutes till tomatoes become soft. Open the lid. The saute mode is probably over by now. Scrape the bottom of the pot.
- Add soaked and drained black-eyed beans and chopped collard greens to the IP. Give it a good stir. Add 4 cups of water and stir again.
Cooking on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK MODE
- Close the IP Lid and lock it. Place the floating valve to SEALING. Press the MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK MODE and set at 20 MINUTES at HIGH/MORE.
- Once the Timer goes off, follow NPR (natural pressure release). As the safety valve drops down, open the lid carefully. Give the curry a good stir. If it is too thick for you, then you may add 1 more cup of warm water. Put the IP on saute mode and bring it to a gentle boil. Switch it off. Adjust salt and hot spice.
- When ready to serve, add chopped cilantro and squeeze some lemon juice.
- You may serve it with Parantha (Indian Flatbread), Naan, Pita or RIce.
- This Black Eyed Peas Curry can be eaten as is like a stew.
- You may make a larger batch and refrigerate it for a week to be used.
- Since black-eyed beans are nutritionally dense, these are great to be eaten as a stew. Pack these for your lunch stew.
- You may substitute collard greens with spinach or kale in the recipe.
- If you plan to use canned beans, then cooking time will be reduced to 8 minutes.