This vegan and gf black bean salad with mangoes is a riot of flavors and comes together in less than 20 minutes.
Prep Time15minutes mins
Course: Salads, Sides
Cuisine: American, Mexican
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Sharp paring knife
- 1 chopping board
- 1 chef’s knife
- 1 spoon
- 1 Colander
- 1 set of measuring cups and spoons
- 2 cups chopped mangoes 1 cup =240 ml
- 1.75 cups black beans I have used canned black beans. 1.75 cups of beans is the quantity I got after draining, rinsing and drying them.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cucumbers
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
- 1 jalapeno deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- Add the chopped mangoes, drained beans, chopped cucumbers, peppers, onions and jalapeno to a bowl. Tip in the finely chopped cilantro.
- Add the ground cumin, smoked sweet paprika, salt and lime juice.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- It is very important to choose firm but ripe mangoes for this recipe. Over ripe mangoes tend to lose shape while tossing and the result will be a soggy salad.
- I have used one 19 oz can of black beans here. After draining and rinsing the beans, they measured 1.75 cups roughly. Place the rinsed beans on a paper towel and dry them completely before adding it to the salad.
- If you do not have access to canned black beans, you can hydrate 1 cup of dried black beans for 6 to 7 hours, cook them till done, drain and use this.
- Usually, a salad will have a sweetener. But this one does not use oil or any sweetener. This is because mangoes are naturally sweet and I felt that adding any sweetener will be an over kill.
- If you are serving this to kids or to people who have low spice tolerance, skip the jalapeno. You can deseed the jalapeno before chopping to reduce the heat.
- Use a silicone mixing spoon to toss the salad. And be very gentle lest you mash the mangoes.
- This salad serves 4 if served as a side and 2 people if served as a meal on its own. It can serve a crowd of 6 to 8 if it is served as a part of a dip platter.
For Instant Pot & Air Fryer Recipes
Instant Pot timings may vary based on your geographic location. Air fryer settings and timings may vary based on the capacity and the model of the Air fryer.
Nutrition values are provided here as a courtesy and are only a rough guide. Please consult a health care provider if you have any concerns.
Calories: 361kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0.4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 1538mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 1937IU | Vitamin C: 63mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 5mg