As much as we love our 45-Minute Lentil Chili recipe, this one is even easier to prepare and every bit as meaty and delicious! Trust me, this is the vegan chili to serve your meat-eating friends and family. It’s full of texture thanks to sauteed Beyond Beef, onion, jalapenos, bulgur (or quinoa for gluten-free), and beans. Plus fire-roasted tomatoes and a generous amount of spices bring serious flavor. This one’s a keeper!
Serves 6 to 8.
Servings: 7 servings
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
- pasta/soup pot
INGREDIENTS US CustomaryMetric
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil such as avocado or grapeseed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 rounded tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon shiitake mushroom powder, optional
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large jalapenos, diced – remove seeds to decrease spiciness
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces Beyond Beef – or Impossible
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes – or regular
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional – see Note 1.
- 4 cups water – see Note 1.
- 1 tablespoon tamari (for GF) or soy sauce – see Note 1.
- ⅔ cup quinoa (for GF), rinsed and drained, or bulgur, dry – for GF another option is dry TVP (textured vegetable protein); adds great texture similar to bulgur.
- 2 (15 oz) cans cooked beans such as kidney, pinto or black beans
Prevent your screen from going dark
- First, combine the spices, mushroom powder, and oregano in a bowl and set aside.3 tablespoons chili powder,1 rounded tablespoon cumin,1 tablespoon shiitake mushroom powder, optional,2 teaspoons smoked paprika,2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Preheat a large soup pot over medium heat, and add the oil. Add the spice blend and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.2 tablespoons cooking oil such as avocado or grapeseed
- Add the onion, jalapeno and garlic. Stirring frequently, cook for 2 to 3 minutes. If the mixture looks too dry or the pot is too hot, add a splash of water.1 large onion, finely chopped,2 large jalapenos, diced,5 cloves garlic, minced
- Add the Beyond Beef to the pot. Use a spoon to break it up into chunks (as large or small as you like). Cook until browned on the outside and incorporated with all of the spices, about 5 minutes.16 ounces Beyond Beef
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast, and stir to combine. Add the water and tamari, and bring to a boil. Stir in the bulgur (or quinoa) and beans. Reduce heat to a simmer. Stirring occasionally, cook for 15 minutes.1 (28 oz) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes,1 teaspoon sea salt,½ teaspoon black pepper, or more to taste,3 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional,4 cups water,1 tablespoon tamari (for GF) or soy sauce,⅔ cup quinoa (for GF), rinsed and drained, or bulgur, dry,2 (15 oz) cans cooked beans such as kidney, pinto or black beans
- Let the chili stand for a few minutes, then taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
Note 1 – If you’d rather not use nutritional yeast, omit it, the soy sauce, and the water, and use 4 cups vegetable broth instead.
Storage – Refrigerate in a covered container for up to 5 days. To freeze, cool completely and transfer to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 2 months.
Estimated Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 362kcalCarbohydrates: 39gProtein: 22gFat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgFiber: 11g
Leave a Reply