This amazing vegan tomato bisque has that signature tangy bite from the tomatoes and the creaminess and slight sweetness to balance out the tangy flavor with a touch of maple syrup and cashew butter. This bisque is dreamy, creamy and oh-so addicting! It all comes together in less than 1 hour.
PREP TIME15 mins
COOK TIME30 mins
TOTAL TIME45 mins
- 1 cup (140g) packed finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 long carrots (peeled and thinly sliced in rounds (140 g, should be about 1 cup sliced)
- 1 tablespoon (12g) minced garlic (3-4 large cloves)
- 3 cups (720g) salt-free or low sodium tomato puree/sauce
- 2 cups (480g) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian herb seasoning (red pepper-free and salt-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt & pepper (1/2 to 1 teaspoon fine sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper) The salt amount will really vary depending on the broth and tomato sauce used. Start with 1/2 teaspoon.
- 1 tablespoon (20g) pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (64g) RAW cashew butter with no added oil.
- If you are allergic to cashews, then I would suggest adding 1/2 cup cooked/mashed gold potato instead at the end when blending. I would ONLY suggest this if allergic, as the cashew butter is what makes this soup so darn creamy and amazing. It’s not going to be quite the same with the potato, nor have that slight sweetness, so you may need extra syrup if you go the potato route. I have not tested it with the potato, so please let me know if you try it!
- Add all of the ingredients, except the cashew butter to a pot. If using whole cashews, add them to the pot as well, as they will soften as the soup cooks. Stir well and turn to high heat.
- Bring it to a boil and once it starts boiling, stir once more and then cover with a lid and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cook covered on medium-low for 20-25 minutes or until the carrots are very soft. Cooking this long really creates depth of flavor, as well. Stir a couple of times during and to check on the carrots.
- Once the carrots are tender, turn the heat off. Very carefully pour the soup into a blender, it’s HOT! (I used my Vitamix) and add the cashew butter (if using instead of whole cashews). Blend on high until completely smooth and creamy. Taste and add anymore salt or dried herbs. Mine didn’t need anymore salt because my tomato puree already had mild salt. Feel free to adjust.
- Pour into bowls. Serve with toasted bread or this grilled cheese!
Serving: 1soup bowlCalories: 204kcalCarbohydrates: 32gProtein: 5.7gFat: 7.5gSaturated Fat: 1.5gSodium: 391mgPotassium: 777mgFiber: 5.2gSugar: 16.3gCalcium: 37mgIron: 1mg