- Author: Verna
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
This vegan macaroni salad recipe is the BEST EVER. An easy pasta salad with raw healthy veggies, smoked tofu and a creamy mayo based dressing that’s incredible! Tart sweet salty savoury! Perfect for a backyard bbq, picnic or potluck! Eggless and dairy free recipe! You’ll love it!
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni noodles
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced (or any colour)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes and their juices
- 1 large dill pickle, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 pack smoked tofu (100 grams), cubed into bite size pieces
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise, I use vegenaise
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non dairy milk , I used almond milk
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- Cook the macaroni according to package instructions. Don’t over cook! Drain pasta, add back to the pot and cover with cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain in a colander and toss with a good drizzle of oil. Add to a large salad bowl.
- While the noodles are cooking prep and chop the veggies, pickles and tofu and add to the salad bowl.
- Mix the salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl: vegan mayo, plant milk, vinegar, pickle juice, herbs and spices, and sugar, pour over the noodles and veggies and mix well. Season with salt and pepper if necessary
- Cover and chill the salad in the fridge for 20 minutes and mix again just before serving! Best served the same day! Enjoy!!
- Lovely with my Grillable Vegan Burger or Sliced Vegan Turkey Seitan Recipe and along side other salads like Coleslaw, Caesar Salad, Potato Salad or Broccoli Salad!
- Gluten free: use gluten free pasta
- I use Soyganic Smoked Tofu for this recipe if you can’t find it you could substitute some chopped tofu bacon or leave it out completely and add a 1/4 teaspoon of liquid smoke (to the dressing) if you like (optional)
- could sub apple cider vinegar for red wine vinegar but I like recipe best as written
- prep time doesn’t include chill time
- Salad will keep covered in fridge for 3-4 days but tastes the best the first day it’s made. It does not freeze well!
- the dressing for this recipe is also so tasty on green salad and fresh or grilled veggies and more!
- This recipe is adapted from my original recipe I made for years that contained cubed ham and cheese and is also inspired by Pioneer Woman
Serves 8Serving Size: 1Calories Per Serving: 243