Homemade garlic knots are soft , chewy and perfect, pizzeria style treats right at home! These fluffy, soft delights are the perfect compliment to your favorite meals, sauces, soups, and salads. Easy to make when you want them or ahead of time, this recipe will allow you to skip ordering in but still let you satisfy your pizzeria cravings.
yield: 16 prep time: 10 MINUTES cook time: 12 MINUTES additional time: 30 MINUTES total time: 52 MINUTES
Garlic Knot Dough
- 1 cup warm water (a few more tablespoon spoons if needed)
- 2 ¼ teaspoons instant yeast (or active dry yeast)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (plus more as needed)
Garlic Butter Topping
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced.
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- grated Parmesan cheese and/or chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Combine warm water, yeast, sugar
and stir–allow to rest for 5-10 minutes until foamy.
- Pour yeast mixture into the bowl of an electric stand mixer (or into a large bowl if you plan on kneading by hand)
- Add the olive oil, salt, and flour to the bowl. Mix with the dough hook attachment on low-speed mix until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 – 6 minutes. You may not use all the flour called for!
- The dough should be soft, slightly sticky when touched with a clean finger. It should be pulling away from the sides of the mixer.
- Grease the Instant Pot inner pot and transfer
the dough to the Instant Pot.
- Cover it with a glass lid or the instant pot lid.
- Turn the Instant pot on by pressing the ‘Yogurt’
button. Adjust the pressure to ‘Less.’ Set the timer to 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, the dough will double in size.
- Gently punch the dough down. Add a little flour to your countertop or work surface (or spray it lightly with cooking spray).
- Grab a ball of dough, about the size of a golf ball, and roll it out into a long rope (about 1/2 inch thick and around 9 -12 inches long)
- Tie the rope into a knot and place it on prepared baking sheet. Remember that the dough will rise, so leave some space between each knot.
- Cover garlic knots with a kitchen towel and allow to rise again in a warm place until double in size,
about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven @ 375 degrees F. Bake at 375° for 12 – 15 minutes.
Air Fryer Method:
- Preheat the air fryer 325F degrees and set for 11 to 12 minutes. Cook in batches without overcrowding and bake 11 to 12 minutes, or until golden. No need to turn.
- Mix the garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt.
- Brush each knot with melted butter and seasoning.
- Serve immediately with soup or marinara sauce!