- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks (optional)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans), optional
- Preheat Oven: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Melt Butter: In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Remove from heat when melted.
- Mix Wet Ingredients: Stir in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract into the melted butter. Mix well until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add this dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Add Chocolate and Nuts: If desired, fold in the chocolate chips or chunks and chopped nuts.
- Bake: Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs (not wet batter).
- Cool: Allow the brownies to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into squares.