prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 15 MINUTES
additional time: 40 MINUTES
total time: 1 HOUR 5 MINUTES
Cinnamon rolls are a tasty treat that makes the whole house smell wonderful as they bake. Perfect for any special occasion, you will never go back to store bought rolls again after tasting these. Your family will love it anytime you make them these fluffy sweet buns for breakfast.
For the dough
- 3/4 cup warm milk mixed with 1 tablespoon lemon juice keep aside for 5 minutes
- Vegetable oil – 1/4 cup
- Instant yeast* (or use rapid-rise yeast // 1 packet yields ~ 2 1/4 tsp) – 1 packet
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- All-purpose flour – 2 1/2 cup
- Baking powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
For the filling
- Unpacked brown sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tbsp.
- Softened butter – 4 tbsp.
For the glaze
Make the dough
- In a small bowl add the milk mixture with sugar and yeast. Let it sit for 5 mins.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the oil to the flour and mix using a paddle attachment if using a stand mixer, or beat it using a stand mixer, or use your hand instead.
- Add the milk mixture to the flour gradually and knead until you get a smooth dough.
- When done the kneading, cover and refrigerate.
- Add a bit of oil to the Instant Pot and grease the insert well. Transfer the dough into the Instant Pot and roll it so it’s also covered in oil on the surface.
- Press the Yogurt setting button on the Instant Pot and ensure it is set to ‘Normal’. place the lid and let the dough proof for 30mins.
- Meanwhile make the filling and glaze
Making the filling
- Mix all ingredients together and keep aside in cool place.
Making the Glaze
- Mix all ingredients together and keep aside in
Rolling and making the cinnamon roll
- Take the lid off and transfer the Instant Pot Cinnamon Roll dough onto a flat, floured surface and gently roll into a rectangle 24″ by 18″ or 18″x18″ to make bigger rolls.
- Spread the filling by sprinkling it over the rolled-out dough, it’s faster. Or use a spatula and spread it evenly.
- With heat, and while baking, the filling will spread within the rolls.
- Roll it up from the longest side, roll tight but not too tight. Pinch the seam tightly. Place seam-side down. Trim off any unevenness on either end.
- Take an Unflavored floss and slide the floss under the large cinnamon roll. Take both ends of the floss, cross them over the top of the roll, and pull on the ends to slice.
- Repeat the move, slicing each section in half, until you have 14 cinnamon rolls. (You can use a knife too). For bigger rolls cut 8.
Bake it in the Oven
- Place parchment paper at the pan’s bottom. Place the rolls in the baking pan, keeping a small gap between each roll. The rolls will expand on cooking and this small gap avoids them sticking to each other.
- Cover the rolls and let them rise for 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180C/360F. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until it’s golden.
- While still warm, drizzle evenly with frosting.
Make it in the Air Fryer
- Once the rolls are assembled, line the basket of your air fryer with aluminum foil and lightly spray with non-stick spray.
- Once lightly coated, place the rolls in the basket leaving just a bit of space between each. Next, let them rise, covered, for 40 minutes.
- Finally, place the basket in the air fryer and bake at 350 for about 10 to 15 minutes or until they turn golden brown and have expanded in size.