cook time: 15 MINUTES
total time: 15 MINUTES
Love beets but not sure how to cook them? When you want to enjoy this tasty root veggie, you need to follow these tips on how to cook beets. We present three simple methods, including boiled, Instant Pot, and roasted, or, air fried to suit your tastes and needs. You can then use the cooked beets in your favorite salads, soups, sides, and main dishes.
5 medium beets, trimmed
Water as per instructions
Boiled Beets method
- Place the beets in a large saucepan and add water to cover completely.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place pot under running cold water and rinse until beets can be handled. The skins can now be easily peeled off the beets.
Instant pot / steamed beets method
- Wash beets and trim off the root part and the leafy and top part.
- In Instant Pot, add 1 cup water. Place beets into a steamer basket and inside the Instant Pot. If you don’t have a basket yet, add trivet and place beet on top.
- Close the lid, turn pressure valve to Sealing and cook on
High Pressure for 15 minutes
- Let the pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, and then release
all remaining pressure.
- Allow the cooked beets to cool before trying to peel, but once
they’re cool the peel will just slide off.
Air fryer/ Roasted Beets
- If the beets still have their leafy tops, cut off the tops close to the tops
of the beet, leaving yourself enough to grip. Save the beet greens for another purpose. Scrub the beets thoroughly, then wrap them loosely in aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped beets to the air fryer basket. Set the air fryer to 380F .
- Air fryer for 30-35 minutes for the perfect texture. Beets are done when a fork or skewer slides easily to the center of the beet. Small beets will cook more quickly than large beets.
- Set the beets aside until cool enough to handle. Slice them and serve as is or in a salad.