prep time: 5 MINUTES
cook time: 10 MINUTES
total time: 15 MINUTES
Southern fried okra (air fryer) has a deliciously spicy crunch that makes it an addicting snack, appetizer, or side any time. This super easy to make, healthier version of the fried classic offers the same great flavor with much less oil. It is the perfect appetizer for a party or a great snack any time you want.
8 oz. Fresh Okra, cut into ½ inch thick round.
Corn starch or corn meal 2 tbsp
Panko 3 tbsp
Garlic powder 1 tsp
Seasoning 1 tsp, Itaian, or Cajun or Indian
Salt to taste
Water 2.5 tbsp
How to Cut Okra for Frying
To prep your okra, first wash and dry it carefully to avoid breaking it.
Once you have washed it, use your knife to cut off the ends.
Finally, carefully cut the okra at a slight angle into ½ inch long round pieces.
How To Make Fried Okra in an Air Fryer
- First, wash and dry the orka before cutting it into ½ inch long rounds.
- In a medium bowl, combine the corn starch, panko, garlic powder, and water. Mix it until it forms a paste or dough.
- Next, preheat the Air Fryer to 390 F or 200 C.
- Toss the okra chunks in corn starch or corn meal mix until evenly coated.
- Carefully remove the basket from the air fryer and then spray the air fryer basket with oil.
- Next, place the okra in the air fryer basket in a single layer without overcrowding it.
- Fry the okra for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure to shake it occasionally as they cook.
- Repeat these steps for as many batches as you need to.
- Enjoy them as is or with your favorite dipping sauce.
How to make fried okra using an air fryer or crisper lid
Preheat the Air Fryer Lid to 390 F or 200 C.
Place a trivet in the Instant Pot. Place the wire mesh on the trivet.
Spread the coated okra on the mesh evenly in a single layer and spray cooking oil.
Fry the okra for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure to shake it occasionally as they cook.
Pro tips and tricks
When you want to make this air fried okra recipe, follow these tips and tricks for the best results:
- Make sure to fully wash and dry the okra before using.
- Work quickly with the cut okra to help prevent it from getting too slimy
- Place the finished okra on a paper towel or on a wire rack to help prevent it from getting soggy as it sits
Leave a Reply