Air Fryer Falafel is a quicker and healthier version of classic deep-fried Middle Eastern street food, made using chickpeas, fresh herbs, and warm spices!
PREP TIME10 minsCOOK TIME18 minsSOAK8 hrsTOTAL TIME8 hrs 28 minsCOURSEAppetizer, Main CourseCUISINEMediterranean, Middle EasternSERVINGS24 FalafelsCALORIES35 kcal
- ▢Air Fryer
For Soaking Chickpeas
- ▢1 cup dried chickpeas
- ▢¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ▢3 cups water
For Falafel Mix
- ▢1 cup fresh cilantro leaves plus tender green stems
- ▢1 cup parsley leaves
- ▢3 cloves garlic
- ▢½ white/yellow onion cut in chunks
- ▢1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about ½ lime)
- ▢1 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- ▢¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ▢1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ▢1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ▢½ teaspoon red pepper flakes reduce for mild
- ▢¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ▢cooking Spray
- ▢Pita Pockets
- ▢Tzatziki Tzatziki Recipe
- ▢Greek Salad Greek Salad Recipe
- ▢Hummus Hummus Recipe
- ▢Saffron Rice Saffron Rice Recipe
Cook ModePrevent your screen from going dark
- Soak the dried chickpeas in 3 cups water mixed in with ¼ teaspoon baking soda overnight. Rinse and drain thoroughly. Transfer to the food processor jar.
- Add onion chunks, herbs, spices, garlic, lemon juice, and baking powder. Now pulse everything to a coarse-to-semifine consistency, scraping the sides in between.
- Check for consistency by binding a teaspoon of the mixture. If it doesn’t hold together, add 1-2 tablespoons of bread crumbs or almond flour, until it holds its shape. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the mix from the refrigerator to form patties. Take a tablespoon of mixture in your palm, press, and shape it into a patty. Form all patties and keep them aside on a plate.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350ºF. Gently spray the air fryer basket and place the falafel patties in a single layer, keeping enough space between them. Spray the top of the patties as well. Air fry for 10 minutes.
- Pull out the basket, flip the patties and lightly spray with cooking spray, then cook another 7-9 minutes, or until golden brown. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to do this in 2-3 batches.
- Serve with greek salad for a low carb meal, or build pita pockets and stuff 3-4 falafels in pita-halves, along with hummus, greek salad, and tzatziki.
- Use dried chickpeas. I definitely recommend starting with dried chickpeas for the best texture.
- Chill the falafel mixture. The colder mixture forms more easily into patties. If it’s too warm, it may be crumbly.
- Preheat the air fryer. If you start the patties in a cold air fryer, the outside may burn before the inside is cooked all the way through. Always preheat!
- Size evenly. As you form the falafel, make sure they’re relatively similar in size so they cook at the same rate.
- If your falafel patties aren’t holding their shape, add 1 tablespoon of breadcrumbs at a time until they do. Use almond flour for a gluten-free option.
Note: The nutrition facts below are my estimates based on 24 X 2-inch falafel patties made with this quantity. If you are following any diet plan, I recommend cross-checking with your preferred nutrition calculator.
Calories: 35kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 115mg | Potassium: 117mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 276IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg